Tuesday, May 26, 2020

ASK FOR THE OLD PATHS

One of the very best books that I have ever read is a book entitled Knowing God by J I Packer. He is a British theologian who has a knack for taking complicated subjects and breaking them down in order for simpletons like me to understand. That particular book was life transforming for me because it deals with the person and character of God. I knew who Jesus was and that He died on a cross for sinners like me but I had never studied the person of God in depth.

I never thought of His omnipotence, omniscience, omnipresence, greatness, eternal wisdom and immutability, etc. Nobody ever taught me those things and I was literally enthralled with the largeness and bigness of God. I was forced to think … as my personal theology was challenged.

Now, every decision I make, is made in the awareness of this great God. I fear that today many believers are, like me, saved but basically ignorant of God. Ignorant of His ways and His character and His dealings with His children. Christians today are preoccupied with maintaining religious practices in a post Christian world and easily allow God to remain remote off in the distance. I was not content with being a pygmy Christian. I wanted to know God better and I was thirsty for that knowledge of Him.

We must not allow modern day skeptics to keep us in the Christian ghetto.

God did create the world.
There really was a Noah and a flood.
God did meet Israel at Mount Sinai.
Jesus did die on a cross.
He was raised from the dead.
He is coming again.

Jeremiah 6:16 says “stand in the ways and see, and ask for the old paths, where the good way is, and walk in it; then you will find rest for your souls!”

No comments:

Post a Comment