Wednesday, June 10, 2020

DOING THE RIGHT THING ...RIGHT!

One of the life principles that my Dad taught me was this. He said, “son, if you do it right the first time, then you will never have to do it again.” It took me awhile but I have tried to incorporate that truth into my life. It is certainly true when it comes to service and ministry to God.

We live in a world that prides itself in the importance of efficiency. Technology has enabled us to do certain things with speed and analysis and tremendous efficiency. Peter Drucker, a world-famous management consultant, says there is a difference between efficiency and effectiveness.

“Efficiency” is doing things right.
“Effectiveness” is doing the right thing.
Consequently, there is a difference between doings things right and doing the right things. Let me further explain.

The more efficiently we do the wrong things, the worse off we become. It would be much better to do the right thing inefficiently than to do the wrong thing efficiently. The goal, however, is to do the right things, right --- the first time!

My Dad never knew Peter Drucker and Peter Drucker did not know my Dad. But my Dad was just as smart as Mr. Drucker. Neither were as smart as the God who said in Micah 6:8:

“He has shown thee, O man, what is good and what the Lord requires of you,
To do justly, love mercy and walk humbly before thy God.”

Do the right thing right --- the first time!

No comments:

Post a Comment