Saturday, February 13, 2021

Last Words of Jesus

 HIS LAST WORDS




A man’s last words, provided he is in his right mind, usually will provide us with insight into the man’s character and life. Paul the Apostle, wasting away in a Roman prison cell, uttered these words:


“I have fought the good fight; I have finished the race; I have kept the faith; therefore, there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give to me on that day, and not only to me but also to all those who have loved His appearing.” 

                                                                                                                 II Timothy 4:6-8

Utterly profound!


When Jesus Christ was dying on the cross, He also spoke and did so in a glorious manner. Three of His sayings were directed to His Father and four of His sayings were directed to others. Hanging on that cross, with life ebbing from His body, with blood dripping onto the cursed earth, amidst all the jeering and scorn and laughter and glee --- the Son of God spoke words so mighty and majestic that they should cause us to say “Truly, this man was the Son of God.” Mark 15:39


Jesus had this to say about His own words:

“The words that I have spoken to you; they are spirit and they are life.” John 6:63


“For I have not spoken on my own authority, but the Father who sent me has Himself given me a commandment --- what to say and what to speak. And I know that this commandment is eternal life. What I say, therefore, I say as the Father has told me.”  John 12:49-50


Dying words from the Son of God. Hanging on the cross. Those seven words or sayings will be the subject of our next seven days!


“Go, Rest High on that Mountain”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwFiWCUkk4M


No comments:

Post a Comment