Wednesday, July 1, 2020

COMMUNION, ANYONE?

Jesus instituted the Lord’s Supper at the Passover meal with His disciples and told us that we should observe it. The COVID 19 pandemic has prevented many Christians from not only attending church regularly but also from partaking of the Lord’s Supper. When is the last time you have had communion? Last time you observed the Lord’s Supper? I trust that you have missed doing so.

According to Matthew 26:28 The Lord’s Supper is a sign that points us back to Christ’s death on the cross. “This is my body, which was given for you” says Luke 22:19. And when we celebrate the Lord’s Supper we reflect upon the fact that He, as man, gave His body, for us. His body suffered in my place, in my stead, as my substitute. He experienced the wrath of God in that body for sinners like you and me. His body took the guilt and condemnation of sin for me.

That is why I truly love the hymn “Man of Sorrows.” Second verse says:

Bearing shame and scoffing rude
In my place condemned He stood
Sealed my pardon with His blood
Hallelujah, what a Savior!

There is also a reminder in the Lord’s Supper to look not only to the past but we are to also look to the future. I Corinthians 11:26 says “for as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord’s death until He comes.” Titus 2:13 calls it the “blessed hope” of the return of Christ. Next time you participate in the Lord’s Supper --- look back and reflect on His death. Then look forward and think of His return! Somewhere, and soon, hopefully, you can experience the reality of that truth!

No comments:

Post a Comment