Friday, July 10, 2020

WHY ME, LORD?

I, periodically, make references to songs or artists because I love different kinds of music and because I believe that music is a gift of God. Remember the song by Kris Kristofferson entitled “Why Me, Lord?” I am sure you do. The opening verse goes like this:

 

Why me Lord, what have I ever done

To deserve even one

Of the pleasures I’ve known

Tell me Lord, what did I ever do

That was worth loving you

For the kindness you’ve shown.

 

There is a truth in that verse and it is related to the blessings and grace of a merciful God. The author cannot understand why God has chosen to be good to him. He is somewhat mystified by the grace and love of God. He knows he is unworthy and undeserving. He knows he has done nothing to earn it. So, he asks, why? Have you ever asked that or do you spend your time complaining?

 

I can only speak for myself. But I am a blessed man. God has been so gracious to me. So loving. So good. So forgiving. So patient. So strong. So kind. So merciful. And like Kris, I am unworthy and undeserving. What I have ever done to deserve God’s favor? If my life ended this very day, I could still lift up my hands and say, “Thank you, Lord, for your blessings on me.” God is good. All the time!

 

WHY? Why me, Lord? Why have you blessed me? There is absolutely no reason found in me. The reason is always found in Him, in the Lord. The Lord is good to me because He has chosen to be good to me. Just because He wanted to. And I admit that I do not fully understand that. But I accept it and thank Him for it. There is no way to repay Him. Just live a life that exhibits gratitude.

No comments:

Post a Comment